Thursday 27 March 2008

FanFiction.Net - Stupid or Incompetent?

March 22nd, 2008 -- Summary of upgrades/notes since the last update:
  1. We do not support dash or other character based section/scene markers. If you wish to create a separation in your chapter, please use the officially supported horizontal line feature in our document editor or in your favorite word program. Using unsupported section markers will only make your entries less compatible to future upgrades. You can create the horizontal lines in Microsoft Word or OpenOffice by typing 3 or 4 consecutive dash/hyphen keys and then hitting enter. The site will correctly recognize these scene breakers when you upload them.

You wouldn't think that this innocent little news post would be such a disaster, would you?

But, it turns out, that nearly ALL of my stories no longer have scene breaks in them. Because they applied the above change retroactively, and modified every chapter that used "-" as scene breaks by removing said scene breaks.

And, it turns out, it's not just mine. After reading a few of the other stories, their scene breaks have gone as well.

And, just to compound this error, it is not just a case of the breaks not being displayed. They are gone in the original chapters as well. So that if I wanted to put them back, I would have to remember where the scene breaks come, and edit them accordingly.

And, if that wasn't bad enough, there was NO WARNING about it. If they had said that, in three weeks time, they were going to stop people using "-" then maybe I could have salvaged something. But no - they just went ahead and did it, willynilly.


So the question you have to ask is this :- did they know this would happen? Did they deliberately, and with malice a forethought, screw up millions of chapters of thousands of stories with this change? Are they that stupid that they didn't realise how many people might get pissed off by this?

Or was it an accident? Are they just incompetent? Did they not realise this would happen, and have some way of fixing it (from backup for example)?


I have sent off an e-mail of complaint about it, and what I do next will be dependent on the response I get from that. It is not beyond reason that I might just stop using the site altogether, and stick to HPFandom, ForeverFandom and my own site (which I really should get back to updating).

I really can't believe how bad this is.

Peace Of Mind, The New Girl (8 Chapters), The Hufflepuff (13 chapters), His Dark Father, The Defence Club (15 Chapters), The Return Of Sirius Black (15 chapters), The Curse Of Exum (4 Chapters) and The Smartest Witch (7 Chapters).

That means 49 chapters I have to update. And that is just for my stories. Having looked around a few others (including someone who's written a 63 chapter story that isn't finished), I can imagine that I might not be the only pissed off person.

As for why it is only 4 Chapters of Exum, and none of Coming Storm, I will explain later.

No comments: