Tuesday 2 September 2008

My stories have character. Quite a lot of then, it appears

I have spent the past three nights collating all the characters in the various fanfictions I have written. The main reason for this is that I think I am starting to reuse names, without realising it.

So I used the local fiction site I set up (using eFic on my computer upstairs), I have created lists of characters for each fandom (Harry Potter, Charmed, Buffy etc), and started assigning them to stories.

That way, if I need an Auror in TWS, I can look through all Auror characters, and pull one out (eg Miss Sally Jones).

But what I didn't realise is HOW MANY characters there are. And how many characters appear in some stories. Deathly Silence - one of the shortest and simplest stories - has 27 different characters in. So does Nineteen Years Later, which is only three chapters long. And Lost In Middle Earth has over 40!

I haven't even got to the Silent Trio series yet - I am somewhat scared!

All in all, it was quite an eye opener.

No comments: